Get Your Sterling Silver and Leather Ready for the Holidays!
Now that Fall is in full swing, it’s time to start thinking about the holidays ahead. Do you rifle through your jewelry box looking for a nice pair of earrings or a bracelet to wear only to be frustrated because your jewelry is tarnished? Or, have you pulled your leather boots or bag out of the closet only to find they are dusty and dull? If you are like me, you never seem to have a jewelry cloth or leather cleaner handy when you need it. If this sounds familiar, take a few minutes to prep your wears for the season. I promise that you’ll be really excited to bring your favorite items back into circulation!
So, if you have stopped wearing your sterling silver jewelry (or any silver items!) because of tarnish, here’s what to do at home to get them cleaned (and it’s toxic-free!):
- Line the bottom of a non-metal bowl with aluminum foil or use a disposable aluminum pan
- Next, bring water to a vigorous boil and add 1 tablespoon of plain old baking soda for each cup of water, and watch it bubble and fizz a bit.
- Place the silver jewelry in the dish, making sure it’s touching the aluminum foil.
- Now it’s time for the chemical reaction- pour the baking soda and boiling water into the dish and let the jewelry sit for two to 10 minutes. Once it’s dry you’ll be shocked how well it worked and the money you saved.
Similarly, a good leather satchel or jacket should last you a lifetime, but you do need to show this durable and tough material a little affection from time to time. You can’t just toss it in the wash, so it’s important to know how to keep it looking its best.
- On a weekly basis, brush down the leather with your hand to remove dirt then use a damp cloth. Stick with water, soaps and cleaners to remove the natural oils.
- Then, dry your leather slowly at room temperature. For long term maintenance - first and foremost, keep leather out of the sun, it will dry it out and become brittle. Second, store it in a cool, dry place and let it breathe, that means don’t cover it with plastic! Please don’t store leather in a humid or wet basement, mildew, Yuk, will deteriorate leather, and don’t over fill that satchel or wallet, it will never return to its normal size.
- Occasionally, you’ll need to dress your leather by adding moisture. Leather creams and conditioners are widely available and easy to use. In a pinch, use body lotion as a substitute.
Of course, after all this if you are in the mood for something new, please stop by Piper and Dune and see what excites you!
For a limited time only, take 10% off all Sterling Silver Jewelry AND MAHI Leather goods on Piper and Dune between now and November 15, 2019. Simply type the word “MAHI” in the search box to see eligible leather items or “STERLING” for Sterling Silver. Use Promocode: GETREADY10