Hello everyone, I feel like we blinked and just like that it’s Memorial Day- the unofficial start of summer and more importantly a time dedicated to remembering and showing gratitude for our soldiers who fell in combat risking their lives for our country.
Celebrate this weekend with your families and friends, watch parades, and dust off the grill- perhaps for the first time this season and wave your American flags in honor of our brave heroes.
Whether you plan to go away or celebrate at home, we bet you’ll be enjoying some delicious food this weekend. Be sure to stop by Piper and Dune in Southbury before you leave to explore our specialty foods (these make great hostess gifts too!)
Our Piper Team was recently chatting about some recipes and we thought you might enjoy them too. Here are a few that might kick off your Memorial Day and make it a little more special:
- Memorial Day Pizza on the Grill - Grilling your pizza adds a smoky flavor and crispy texture to the crust, making it a unique and delicious option. Feel free to get creative with your toppings and experiment with different flavor combinations. Whether you enjoy marinara or pesto, white or red pizzas, everyone enjoys a pizza feast!
Be sure to pick up a few of these favorites at Piper and Dune to build your own pizza:
- Nutmeg State Pizza Co. Dough - Made in Southbury, CT
- Delavignes Infused Mini Olive Oils or full-size bottles - Made in Waterbury, CT
- Pizza Sauce, Maple Syrup and (coming soon!) - Made in Woodbury, CT
- Hot Chilli Oil - Made in Fairfield, CT
Grilled Pizza Instructions:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat
- Divide the pizza dough into individual size portions and roll them out into a thin rectangle
- Brush both sides of the dough with the olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Carefully place the pizza dough on the preheated grill. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the bottom is lightly charred and crisp. Flip the dough over using tongs or a spatula
- Quickly spread pizza sauce on the grilled side of the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the sauce
- Add your desired toppings - you can even place them in the style of an American Flag for fun, distributing the ingredients evenly.
- Close the grill lid and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, and the toppings are cooked to your liking.
- Remove the pizza from the grill and let it cool for a minute before slicing and serving.
- A Memorial Day Hot Honey Sandwich is a delicious and flavorful choice for your celebration. This Hot Honey Grilled Chicken sandwich will surely be a hit at your Memorial Day gathering. The combination of grilled chicken spicy-sweet honey sauce, and fresh toppings creates a delightful flavor experience. Here is a recipe for a Hot Honey Grilled Chicken Sandwich that combines savory and sweet flavors:
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 Hamburger buns
- Lettuce leaves
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Sliced Red Onions
- Sliced pickles (Optional, but highly suggested)
For the Hot Honey Sauce:
- ¼ Cup Hannan Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Aya’s Tasty AF Hot Chili Oil (adjust to your preferred hear level)
- 1 Tablespoon Melted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, hot chili oil, melted butter, and apple cider vinegar to make the hot honey sauce
- Grill the chicken breasts for about 6-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through and juices run clear.
- During the last few minutes of grilling, brush the chicken breasts with the hot honey sauce on both sides, allowing it to slightly caramelize.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes,
- Toast the hamburger buns on the grill for a minute or until they are slightly charred.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing a grilled chicken breast on the bottom half of each bun.
- Top with two lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes, red onions, and pickles, if desired.
- Drizzle extra hot honey on top of the chicken.
- Place the top bun on each sandwich and serve.
How about an Old Fashioned Float to drink on the side?
- Be transported to an old-time soda shop with this Tart Cherry Memorial Day Float. A cherry float is a refreshing and festive treat to cool you down on this warm holiday. It’s a delightful combination of cherry flavors and creamy goodness. It is a perfect sweet treat to celebrate the holiday.
Here is a simple recipe:
- 1 Cup of Soda (such as Coke or Dr. Pepper)
- 1 or 2 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino Cherries for Garnish
- Wonderland Jams Tart Cherry Fruit Syrup or any of their other flavored syrups - Made in Newtown, CT. By the way, you can add a little of these syrups to a cocktail, pancakes, yogurt, seltzers too, they are so good!
- Begin by chilling the soda in the refrigerator or placing it in the freezer for a few minutes to get it nice and cold
- Add a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream to a glass
- Add .50 to 1.0 oz Tart Cherry Syrup
- Pour over soda, as the ice cream floats to the top, it will create a creamy and frothy texture.
- Top the float with a generous amount of whipped cream.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry or two on top
- Serve with a straw and a long spoon for enjoying both the fizzy soda and the creamy ice cream.
Seafood Lovers - check out one of our amazing Toadfish Collection products for grilling, shucking, fileting, cracking, etc. The quality and durability of these tools are unmatched. Find clam knives, oyster knives, shrimp deveiners that butterfly and peel, filet knives, non-tipping can coolers, gift sets and so much more.
If you’ve never shopped with us online before, use code: SAVE10NOW and save 10% off your first order! We have lots of new gifts for Father's Day, Graduations, Teachers' Gifts, and more… be sure to stop by and see what’s new. We’re working hard to improve our website too to make your shopping experience the best it can be.
Best wishes for a great Memorial Day Weekend. We wish you sunny days and happy times.
Explore What Excites You,
Chris and The Piper and Dune Team