January in New England is just plain cold. Do you find yourself thinking that dinnertime and bedtime are just too close in proximity? I mean, there are nights when we eat dinner, check out Nora O’Donnell on CBS news, and inevitably someone will say “is it too early to go to bed?” Seriously, it hardly seems necessary to make your bed, because it seems you are almost ready to climb back into it once you get out! Let’s face it, these long dark days can be a little depressing too; the Winter Solstice was just December 21 -the darkest day of the year, so we all need to prepare for the long, dark, days ahead.
Here are some tips for Self-Care to get you through it all:
- Invest in a good moisturizer for your face. Piper and Dune sells a great one called Sailor Blue Moisturizer from Captain Blankenship, it’s fresh, softening, and soothing and good for both men and women. It’s packed with anti-inflammatory plant oils of jojoba, pomegranate, calendula, camellia, carrot seed, and sunflower seed oils that are calming and healing for skin. Aloe Vera, wild rose, lupine, and marine extracts make this a light yet deeply nourishing face cream that is easily absorbed by skin.
- You will need some good lip care to manage your dry, cracked lips and to keep them moisturized in the cold months. Try Oyster Lady's kelp infused lip balm which is packed with vitamins and antioxidants intended to heal; you can try this recipe from Captain Blankenship for a great DIY lip exfoliant too. This recipe is perfect for those of you who are suffering from dry, chapped, peeling lips effected by the cold weather and from the furnace running non-stop this time of year. Remember to drink tons of water too:
Lip Scrub Recipe: Add 1 tbsp organic cane sugar, 1/2 tbsp organic coconut oil and optional 1/2 tsp organic cacao powder (if you like the taste of chocolate) to a bowl and mix into paste with spoon. Massage into lips and rinse off. Behold soft and hydrated lips and if you eat some, you will smile! With your leftovers you can scrub your hands, feet and body or save for next time.
- Don’t forget about your hair too try Captain Blankenship’s Hair Oil which is a combination of nourishing organic plant oils which adds luster, moisture and smoothness to your hair. Shampooing and weather can leave your hair dry and ends brittle, this hair oil will replenish your hair and leave it healthier and more manageable. It is the perfect remedy for frizzy hair or can be used as a scalp treatment that promotes hair health. It has a wild, uplifting herbal scent that will fill your senses too.
- Take in some sun every day
- Enjoy hot baths – Try Captain Blankenships Rusalka or Skydancer Bath Salts
- Stay Hydrated – Pick up one of Piper and Dune’s Que bottles which are especially great for commuters and travels alike. Once you finish drinking the full-size bottle of water, it collapses to easily stash it away
- Go to the Gym, take a yoga or spin class - it can help you connect with others while boosting your health
- Embrace the winter and try some new outdoor winter sports; don’t forget to engage your pets in a little outdoor activity as well!
- Allow yourself to relax after the holidays
Whatever you do, explore what excites you and find something that makes you smile!
Happy New Year,
Chris and The Piper and Dune Family
P.S. We have so many amazing, organic health and beauty care products hand-selected for you – each are amazing, so please visit Piper and Dune to learn more. And, as a special offer to our blog subscribers, take 20% off ANY of our health and beauty care products before January 31, 2020, use promocode” RECOVERYBLOG” at checkout. As always, your products ship FREE with a $75 purchase!