Love Is In the Air
With Valentine’s Day only two week’s away, I was starting to get curious about the meaning of the holiday. I mean sure, obviously it’s about celebrating love, but I was curious about its history and of course, I always love the marketing stats that surround such a big consumer holiday too. So, I thought I’d take a few minutes to share some interesting facts:
💘 62% of the U.S. population celebrates Valentine’s Day
💘 Valentine’s Day has its roots in an ancient fertility festival called Lupercalia which was celebrated Mid-February
💘 Historical records are a little unclear who the actual Saint Valentine actually was (there were many), but most historians say it was “a priest with a soft-spot for love.”
💘 Pope Gelasius named February 14th a day to honor Valentine and other martyrs: St. Valentine's Day
💘 In the 15th century couples started to write cards and letters to their Valentine
💘 By the 1840’s Valentine’s Day cards were being mass produced and it was clear that Valentine’s Day had become a major consumer holiday
💘 As a marketer, I found these facts interesting, you might too -
- Today, 1 billion cards are sent
- 35 million boxes of heart shaped chocolate are given
- Americans spend over $20 billion dollars or $130 per person on the holiday
- $4 Billion dollars is spent on jewelry
- 220 million roses are given
- Champagne, Wine, alcohol, unique or symbolic gift giving (e.g. things with anchors, infinity signs, etc …) aren’t even included in the statistics. It would be too difficult to track
- 6 Million couples will get engaged on Valentine’s Day
So, whether you LOVE Valentine’s Day or hate it, the numbers don’t lie, it’s a day to celebrate love and people are celebrating!
Whatever you choose to do on Valentine’s Day - whether you see a show, make dinner together, have a spa night, have an indoor picnic, go ice skating, play games, watch romantic movies, go for a “space ride” (in New England, this is a ride to destination(s) unknown) … we have something for you to give your loved one to show how much you care.
Shop our Valentine’s Collection now and receive 20% off your enitre order! Use Code: LOVEISINTHEAIR Valid through 2/14/20. As always orders over $75 qualify for FREE shipping.
We hope you find something that excites you,
Happy Valentine’s Day,
Chris and the Piper and Dune Family